Mission Statement

www.BirthActionCoalition.org

The Birth Action Coalition believes the birth journey is an essential expression of human dignity that requires informed and empowered partnerships between women, families and health-care providers. Through projects that educate and advocate, The Birth Action Coalition will work to create supportive birth environments in our communities.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How You Can Help


I’ll get right to the point. BAC needs your help. Some of you may be aware that I recently resigned from BAC’s Board of Directors and yet here I am asking you to help. Well yes. Because in case you didn’t notice I’m still here. I felt this subtle shift will allow me to be involved in a different way, and a way that I can enjoy more. It’s tough when you feel so passionate about an issue, have lots of great ideas and limited time and resources. It’s hard to get an organization moving the way you think it should and at the same time working on the stated mission of that organization. I have learned something very important, I can only do what I can do, and that is enough. I still hold the position of Programs Chair, spokesperson, oversee our website design (new design is coming along slowly but surely), Coordinate the Red Tent Gallery and help in any other way that I can. I will continue in those roles as long as the Board will have me and I am able.

BAC has been very blessed to have a small core of dedicated women and a few men who keep coming back event after event. But we need new folks to help support our core group. I have been involved now since 2008. Whew. Time flies and it’s easy to get burned out. I’ve learned not to attach myself too closely to my ideas, and to endeavor to let others take off on their own ideas when they match with our goals and vision and create the brand that we are striving for. While organizations always need money, we need volunteers even more right now. We need event coordinators, writers, vendor liaisons, public outreach volunteers, graphic designers, membership coordinator, internet wiz, and oh yes, Board members. Board members need to be passionate about working for respect and dignity for ALL birthing women and be willing and able to attend four (quarterly) meetings a year. That’s essentially it with a few other odds and ends. We do want folks who have participated in BAC events and can represent the organization out in the community in a positive and professional way.  If you are interested in being nominated for the Board please get involved in an upcoming event and contact our current president Summer Sivas (summer.sivas@gmail.com) or call her 805-453-2968. If you have any questions feel free to email me as well Kimberly.rivers@gmail.com.

I have been very honored to have represented BAC in the community and look forward to our upcoming events and ongoing work. Focuses in the coming months and year are building membership, community outreach, and building bridges with local hospitals. If you want to help, step up and speak out for birthing women.

In Gratitude,
Kimberly Rivers


No comments:

Post a Comment